Thursday, April 12, 2007

Why Smelling Good!?

I thought the first thing I should address is why I chose to call my blog, "Smelling Good". It's because of a recent women's retreat that I attended.

The speaker notes are titled, "The Splendor of Surrender", and on the first page there is this paragraph: "Surrender is offering our whole body as a sacrifice to Him. It is not unlike the burnt offering, producing a sweet smelling aroma of satisfaction to the Lord. Surrender 'mells' (in reference to a story of her son) good to Him. It is irresistible to God and man. It is the splendor of surrender. "

And I have written off to the side, "The fragrance of God" which referenced back to some sermon notes I had taken not that long ago. Some thoughts from that are; "Through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. To those being saved, it is the fragrance of life, to others, the fragrance of death."

Wow, I had never thought of that. I am one of those people who take rejection personally. This fear of rejection has been a fear Satan has used to make me a timid witness for God. I don't go knocking on doors or handing out tracks. I've always relied on them seeing a difference in my life and seeking that difference. This sermon freed me in many ways from that fear. Some people will be so hardened to God that even the "smell" of Him flowing out of me and my life will be offensive to them. It's not what I do and say that offends them. It's God.

Which reminded me of what my counselor said some 13 years ago when I asked him why non-Christian guys were so attracted to me. He told me that from within me shines the light of God, whether I am living for Him or not, His Spirit is within me and that is attractive to those who are seeking Him, whether they know it or not.

So, that's the long answer to why I titled my blog as I did. I want this blog to "smell good". I want it to be used by Him to attract those who are seeking Him. Like a moth to a flame, may this be the light shining in the darkness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! I have added you to my favorites list! Keep up the great blog. It is very inspirational and devotional. Take Care Cindy from Ohio